Stinging Nettles

Go down

Stinging Nettles

Post by Mata on Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:24 pm

Stinging Nettle (Urtica dioica) is a plant that's native to Eurasia, Northern Africa and naturalized in North America. It has a long history of use by humans, both in medicine and magick. Medicinally it's used to treat asthma, blood cleansing, allergies, improving kidney function and a general over tonic for the body. Nettles are rich in various vitamins and nutrients. Of course, they're not called STINGING nettles for nothing. The plants are covered with minuscule tubes that have a skin irritant within them. Brushing up against them lightly is all that it takes to get a rash that can last for several days in sensitive individuals. Although, cooking or drying them destroys the hollow tubes that cause the irritation., making them perfectly safe to consume.

Many old legends say that if a person carries nettles in their pocket that they will be safe from lightning strikes and give them courage. Another says that a person can be cured of sickness if someone pulls up a nettle plant while reciting their and their families name. One myth tells of how keeping nettles in a room will protect everyone within (this also attests to nettles use in protection magick). It's also used in cleansing and consecration magicks and rituals.

The stinging nature of this plant makes it's planetary ruler Mars, which makes it useful in war rituals.

There's many more legends and myths of nettles, far too many to put here. Overall it's a marvelous plant. With tremendous uses in medicine and magick. As long as you're careful with it!
Mata
Novice
Novice

Back to top Go down

Re: Stinging Nettles

Post by Lynn on Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:51 pm

Hello

Well being from the lush lands of BC Canada I know well that plant but from touching it on camping trips.

This was very ineteresting information I did not know. Thanks much for the post. I look forward to more posts.

Lynn
Lynn
Elder
Elder

Back to top Go down